Montgomery in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Dr. J. Marion Sims
DR. J. MARION SIMS
Here, in 1845, he performed the first closure of a vesico-vaginal fistula with wire suture, using a pewter spoon as speculum. This operation made him famous throughout the world.
Erected 1930 by Montgomery County Medical Society / The Alabama Anthropological Society.
Location. 32° 22.591′ N, 86° 18.441′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is on South Perry Street south of Dexter Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Building is now occupied by a cash loans company. Marker is at or near this postal address: 37 South Perry Street, Montgomery AL 36104, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Office of Dr. Luther Leonidas Hill (here, next to this marker); Confederate States of America (CSA) Post Office Department (within shouting distance of this marker); Montgomery County Korean War Veterans (within shouting distance of this marker); Montgomery County Circuit Court / Sit-Ins and Marches at the Montgomery County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, Chrisí Hot Dogs (about 300 feet away); A County Older Than the State (about 300 feet away); Telegram Which Began War Between The States / Winter Building (about 500 feet away); St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montgomery.
Categories. • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 5, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 774 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 5, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.