Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Windsor in Essex County, Ontario — Central Canada
 

Jesuit Mission to the Hurons

 
 
Jesuit Mission to the Hurons Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 9, 2010
1. Jesuit Mission to the Hurons Marker
Inscription. In 1728 a mission to the Huron Indians was established near Fort Pontchartrain (Detroit) by Father Armand de la Richardie, S.J. The mission was moved to Bois Blane Island and the adjacent mainland in 1742. In 1747 it was destroyed by disaffected Hurons and a party of Iroquois, and the next year re-established in this vicinity. The Huron Mission became the Parish of Assumption in 1767 and was entrusted with the spiritual care of the French settlers on this side of the river as well as the Indians of the region. The resident missionary, Father Pierre Potier, S.J., became the first pastor of this parish, the earliest in what is now Ontario.
 
Erected 1960 by the Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board.
 
Location. 42° 18.541′ N, 83° 4.297′ W. Marker is in Windsor, Ontario, in Essex County. Marker is at the intersection of Riverside Drive West and Huron Church Road, on the right when traveling south on Riverside Drive West. Touch for map. This historical marker is located on the south side of the Detroit River, in Odette, Sculpture Park, just east of the nearby Ambassador Bridge. Marker is in this post office area: Windsor, Ontario N9C, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow
Jesuit Mission to the Hurons Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 9, 2010
2. Jesuit Mission to the Hurons Marker
View of historical marker with the "Odette, Sculpture Park" sign in the background and the Detroit River in the distant background.
flies. 1748 (within shouting distance of this marker); Montreal Point in 1782 (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); Ste. Anne Church (approx. 1.4 kilometers away in the U.S.); Gabriel Richard (approx. 1.4 kilometers away in the U.S.); Fort Wayne (approx. 2.4 kilometers away in the U.S.); Fort Street Presbyterian Church (approx. 2.5 kilometers away in the U.S.); The Battle of Windsor - 1838 (approx. 2.6 kilometers away); The Detroit Free Press (approx. 2.6 kilometers away in the U.S.). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Windsor.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
Jesuit Mission to the Hurons Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 9, 2010
3. Jesuit Mission to the Hurons Marker
View of historical marker with both the Detroit River and the Ambassador Bridge in the background.
Jesuit Mission to the Hurons Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 9, 2010
4. Jesuit Mission to the Hurons Marker
View of the historical marker with the sculpted cross marking the site of the Huron Mission and the Detroit River in the background.
Jesuit Mission to the Hurons Cross image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 9, 2010
5. Jesuit Mission to the Hurons Cross
View of the nearby sculpted cross that marks the site of the Huron Mission, with the Detroit River and the Ambassador Bridge in the background.
Jesuit Mission to the Hurons Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 9, 2010
6. Jesuit Mission to the Hurons Marker
View of historical marker overlooking the nearby intersection of Riverside Drive West and Huron Church Road.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 30, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 972 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 30, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement