Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rockville in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Rockville Baptist Church and Cemetery

 
 
Rockville Baptist Church and Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, April 1, 2006
1. Rockville Baptist Church and Cemetery Marker
Inscription. In 1823, the deacons of the Bethel Baptist Church church acquired a half-acre lot at this site to erect a church and provide a burial ground. The original church was replaced in 1864, but a half century later, the Baptists demolished it and built a larger church and a parsonage at the corner of South Washington and West Jefferson Streets. The cemetery remained and was enclosed with an iron fence. The church conveyed the cemetery to the Montgomery County Historical Society in 1973, and title was transferred to Peerless Rockville for caretaking in 1983. Peerless Rockville has added benches and a picket fence.

Gravestones in the cemetery date between 1839 and 1896. Late 19th century development of the West End and the opening of South Van Buren Street necessitated relocation of 16 graves to the Rockville Cemetery. Twenty-eight marble and sandstone grave markers remain.

Several persons notable in Rockville's history are buried here. Samuel Clark Veirs was postmaster of Rockville and Chief Judge of the Orphan's Court. He also operated Veirs Mill. Veirs' son-in-law, William Veirs Bouic, Jr. was a judge, farmer, State's Attorney, president of Rockville's Board of Commissioners, organizer of the Montgomery County Agricultural Society, trustee of the Rockville Academy, and a director of the C & O Canal Company.
 
Erected
Historic Baptist Cemetery, Burials 1939–1896 image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, January 7, 2006
2. Historic Baptist Cemetery, Burials 1939–1896
2001 by City of Rockville, Maryland, and the Rockville Historic District Commission.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland, Lost Rockville – 1801 to 1850 marker series.
 
Location. 39° 5.006′ N, 77° 9.382′ W. Marker is in Rockville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of West Jefferson Street (Maryland Route 28) and West Montgomery Avenue, on the left when traveling east on West Jefferson Street. Touch for map. Also at this intersection is Great Falls Road (Maryland Route 189) and South Van Buren Street. Marker is in this post office area: Rockville MD 20850, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Prettyman House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named The Prettyman House (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Prettyman House (within shouting distance of this marker); Rockville Academy (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Beall-Dawson House (about 500 feet away); Stonestreet Medical Museum (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Beall-Dawson House (about 600 feet away); Beall-Dawson House and Park (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockville.
 
Regarding Rockville Baptist Church and Cemetery.
Historic Baptist Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, January 7, 2006
3. Historic Baptist Cemetery
The site of Samuel Clark Veirs' Veirs Mill has been marked with a historical marker, which can be found in this database.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.
 
Historic Baptist Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, April 1, 2006
4. Historic Baptist Cemetery
Looking out towards the intersection of West Jefferson and South Van Buren Streets.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 5, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,919 times since then and 50 times this year. Last updated on November 5, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 5, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement