Grand Canyon National Park in Coconino County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
The Kolb Brothers: daring, persistent, Grand Canyon legends. Their studio stands before you.
Ellsworth Kolb arrived here in 1901, Emery in 1902. First located in a tent, their photo business grew with Grand Canyon tourism. They eventually produced more than 250,000 photos. Adverturers, they explored remote areas of the canyon - always with camera in hand. In 1911-1912 they shot the first motion picture of a river trip through the canyon, a film that Emery presented here for nearly 60 years.
Ellworth left Grand Canyon in 1924, but Emery remained and ran the studio with his wife and daughter. Emery died here in 1976, age 95, having spent his life preserving Grand Canyon on film.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 36° 3.474′ N, 112° 8.566′ W. Marker is in Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona, in Coconino County. Touch for map. Marker is near the southwest corner of the studio, along the South Rim walkway, off Village Loop Drive in Grand Canyon Village. Marker is in this post office area: Grand Canyon AZ 86023, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historic Kolb Studio (within shouting distance of this marker); Grand Canyon Village (within Mules and the Canyon (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bright Angel Trail (about 400 feet away); Buckey O'Neill Cabin (about 600 feet away); Lookout Studio (about 600 feet away); Bright Angel Lodge (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Bright Angel Lodge (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Canyon National Park.
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 8, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 575 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 8, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 4, 5. submitted on January 7, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.