Church Creek in Dorchester County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected 1932 by Daughters of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 38° 30.282′ N, 76° 9.002′ W. Marker is in Church Creek, Maryland, in Dorchester County. Marker is on Taylors Island Road (Maryland Route 16) 0.2 miles east of Church Creek-Golden Hill Road (Maryland Route 331), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in front of the White Haven United Methodist Church. Marker is in this post office area: Church Creek MD 21622, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Finding Freedom (approx. ¼ mile away); Walk the Old Trinity Heritage Trail (approx. 0.9 miles away); Trinity P.E. Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Anna Ella Carroll (approx. Malone's Church-Ties that Bind (approx. 3.7 miles away); Stanley Institute-Racing to Freedom (approx. 3.8 miles away); “Stanley Institute” (approx. 3.8 miles away); Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Church Creek.
Regarding Treaty Oak. From Colby Rucker's report on Great Eastern Trees, Past and Present (http://www.nativetreesociety.org/ bigtree/great_eastern_trees.htm): Treaty Oak. White oak. Reputed to be nearly 400 years old, site of Indian treaty. Near state road, Church Creek, Dorchester County. Died 1957. ref.: Besley, Fred W. 1956. Big Tree Champions of Maryland. pp. 51, 53 (photo).
Categories. • Colonial Era • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 4, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,425 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on June 5, 2011, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 2. submitted on December 5, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. 3. submitted on December 4, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.