Founded 1770 by Christian Delaware Indians brought from upper Allegheny by the Reverend David Zeisberger. Settling on the eastern river-bank on May 3, they moved to the west side about three months later.
Abandoned April 13, 1773, when its inhabitants, with the Reverend John Heckewelder, moved to new towns on the Muskingum in present Ohio. There some of them were massacred, March 8, 1782, by Pennsylvania militia.
Erected 1948 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Location. 40° 55.467′ N, 80° 22.8′ W. Marker is near Moravia, Pennsylvania, in Lawrence County. Marker is on Pennsylvania Route 18 0.3 miles north of Galilee Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Castle PA 16102, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Friedensstadt (within shouting distance of this marker); On August 4, 2000 (approx. 3 miles away); Kuskuskies Towns (approx. 3.1 miles away); C. Frederick Post (was approx. 3.1 miles
More about this marker. Both markers are near each other.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 12, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 572 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 12, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.