Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Canonsburg in Washington County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

John McMillan

 
 
John McMillan Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, February 20, 2011
1. John McMillan Marker
Inscription. First Presbyterian missioner in this area, 1775. Founder of Hill Church, 1776, and of Western Theological Seminary and Jefferson College. Died in 1833, after sixty years in the ministry, and is buried in the churchyard.
 
Erected 1949 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 40° 14.513′ N, 80° 10.682′ W. Marker is in Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, in Washington County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Road (U.S. 19) and Pennsylvania Route 519, on the right when traveling south on Washington Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Canonsburg PA 15317, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Reverend John McMillan, D.D. (a few steps from this marker); Delvin G. Miller (approx. 2.2 miles away); Colonel George Morgan (approx. 2.4 miles away); Richfol Shelter (approx. 4.7 miles away); 25 Ton G.E. Diesel-Electric Locomotive 89 (approx. 4.7 miles away); Washington (approx. 5 miles away); a different marker also named Washington (approx. 5.2 miles away); Washington and Jefferson College (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canonsburg.
 
Also see . . .
John McMillan Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel
2. John McMillan Marker

1. John McMillan - Wikipedia. (Submitted on February 21, 2011, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
2. John McMillan - Behind the Marker. ExplorePAHistory.com (Submitted on July 13, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Notable Persons
 
The McMillan Academy in Canonsburg, PA image. Click for full size.
By Earle R. Forrest, February 9, 1907
3. The McMillan Academy in Canonsburg, PA
The McMillan Academy was the first of its kind built west of the Allegheny Mountains. It was constructed by Rev. John McMillan in 1781 east of Canonsburg, PA. This building was the beginning of what would later be known as Jefferson College.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 20, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 888 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 20, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.   3. submitted on April 29, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement