Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Toronto, Ontario — Central Canada
 

The Lake Light

 
 
The Lake Light Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 20, 2010
1. The Lake Light Marker
Inscription. This lighthouse, one of the earliest on the Great Lakes, was completed in 1808 as an hexagonal tower 52 feet high, topped by a wooden cage with a fixed whale-oil lantern. In 1832 it was raised to 82 feet and later equipped with a revolving light. The mysterious disappearance of its first keeper, J.P. Rademuller, in 1815 and the subsequent discovery nearby of part of a human skeleton enhanced its reputation as a haunted building.

Erected by the Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board.
 
Erected by Ontario Archaelogical and Historic Site Board.
 
Location. 43° 36.818′ N, 79° 23.116′ W. Marker is in Toronto, Ontario. Marker is on Lakeshore Avenue. Touch for map. Gibraltar Point Lighthouse is located on Centre Island in Toronto Islands Park. It is about a 5 minute walk from the Hanlan's Point ferry terminal, or a 10 minute walk from the Centre Island ferry terminal. Marker is in this post office area: Toronto, Ontario M5J 1X8, Canada.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Andrew By-The-Lake (approx. 1.4 kilometers away); The Royal Canadian Yacht Club (approx. 1.8 kilometers away); Little Norway
Gibraltar Point Lighthouse (1808) and the Lake Light Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, August 20, 2010
2. Gibraltar Point Lighthouse (1808) and the Lake Light Marker
The marker is visible here just to the left of the red door.
(approx. 2.6 kilometers away); No. 2 (Centre) Blockhouse (approx. 3.2 kilometers away); The Battle of York 1813 (approx. 3.2 kilometers away); The Bishop’s Palace 1818 (approx. 3.5 kilometers away); The Royal York Hotel (approx. 3.6 kilometers away); Mary Ann Shadd Cary (approx. 4.2 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Toronto.
 
Also see . . .
1. Gibraltar Point Lighthouse - ghost on Toronto Island. " On a dark January night in 1815, a band of thirsty soldiers set off from Fort York garrison to Toronto Island. The troop in search of booze called on J. P. Radan Muller, Gibraltar Point lighthouse keeper and bootlegger of American whiskey. When the soldiers asked for seconds from his keg, Muller refused, and a violent fight erupted. That was the last time Muller was ever seen — in the flesh. CBC digital archives presents a 6 minute clip aired in 1958 delving into the question of the lighthouse ghost's existence. The end of the clip has the added bonus of the announcer speaking of the impending installation of a historical plaque (which is this one). (Submitted on March 9, 2011.) 

2. Toronto Islands - Gibraltar Point Lighthouse. The City of Toronto's page for the lighthouse, providing a brief history: " The Island Lighthouse is the oldest landmark in Toronto. From its site on Gibraltar Point, it has watched most of Toronto's history unfold; its light beam has, for more than 150 years, been a welcome guide for the mariner into the Harbour of Toronto...." (Submitted on March 10, 2011.) 
 
Additional keywords. ghosts
 
Categories. Man-Made FeaturesWaterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 9, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 588 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 9, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement