Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
During Atlanta’s occupation -- Sept. to Nov. 1864 -- the 2nd Mass. Regiment, [US] constituting the Provost Guard of Sherman’s army, camped in a park on this site.
From here, Sept. 6, 1864, went notice to the civilian population of Atlanta to assemble for registration and evacuation.
Present State Capitol begun 1884; completed 1889. Commissioners turned back $118.43 of a $1,000,000 building appropriation.
Erected 1952 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission, and the Liberty Bell Replica marker series.
Location. 33° 44.988′ N, 84° 23.31′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Street SW and Martin Luther King Jr Drive, on the left when traveling south on Washington Street SW. Touch for map. The marker stands on the northwest corner of the State Capitol Grounds. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30303, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Brown Gordon (a few steps from this marker); Transfer of Command The Battle of Atlanta (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas E. Watson (within shouting distance of this marker); The Seige of Atlanta (within shouting distance of this marker); The Evacuation of Atlanta (within shouting distance of this marker); Joseph Emerson Brown (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Immaculate Conception Church (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
Categories. • Government • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 20, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 524 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 20, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 2, 3. submitted on April 16, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.