Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Knight's Ferry in Stanislaus County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Rancheria del Rio Estanislao

 
 
Rancheria del Rio Estanislao Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 30, 2011
1. Rancheria del Rio Estanislao Marker
Inscription. Mexican land grant. 11 Sq. leagues, - 48,887 acres - made to Francisco Rico and A. Castro on Dec. 29, 1843 by Gov. Micheltorena. Patent signed by Pres. A. Lincoln on Jan. 21, 1863. Abraham Schell bought 3½ leagues in 1863 and with George H. Krause founded the famous Red Mountain Vineyard and Winery.

Erected April 20, 1968
Estanislao Chapter No. 58
E Clampus Vitus

 
Erected 1968 by E Clampus Vitus, Estanislao Chapter No. 58.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 37° 49.58′ N, 120° 40.914′ W. Marker is in Knight's Ferry, California, in Stanislaus County. Marker is at the intersection of Sonora Road and Schell Road on Sonora Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oakdale CA 95361, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Knights Ferry Hook & Ladder (approx. ¾ mile away); Knight's Ferry (approx. ¾ mile away); Miller's Saloon (approx. ¾ mile away); Knights Ferry - The Store (approx. ¾ mile away); Knights Ferry No. 2
Rancheria del Rio Estanislao Marker - wide view image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, April 30, 2011
2. Rancheria del Rio Estanislao Marker - wide view
The marker is mounted on a stone monument, located under a tree on a small triangular patch of land at the intersection of Sonora and Schell Roads. (Marker is visible here in the shadow beneath the tree).
(approx. 0.8 miles away); Tulloch’s Mill (approx. one mile away); Knights Ferry Covered Bridge (approx. one mile away); The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus (approx. 1.2 miles away).
 
Categories. AgricultureSettlements & Settlers
 
Plat of Rancheria del Rio Estanislao image. Click for full size.
By US Surveyor General, January 10, 1862
3. Plat of Rancheria del Rio Estanislao
This image of the plat of the Rancheria del Rio Estanislao (courtesy of the Bancroft Library, University of California at Berkeley), produced by the US Surveyor General in 1862, gives some idea of the size of the nearly 49,000 acre grant. The red X denotes the marker site, and the town of Knight's Ferry, about a mile away, is located roughly at the upper part of the bend of the Stanislaus River that is below and to the right of the X. [Click on image to enlarge]
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 1, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 664 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 1, 2011, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement