Staten Island in Richmond County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Daniel D. Tompkins
1774 --------------- 1825
1807 – 1817
Vice-President of the United States
and a resident of Staten Island.
Among many meritorious acts he aided the passage of the law abolishing slavery within the state, added to the fortifications at the Narrows during the War of 1812; founded the Village of Tompkinsville; laid out the Richmond Turnpike; gave the land on which the Dutch Reform Church was built and established the first steamboat ferry from Staten Island.
In 1824 he and Dr. Van Pelt entertained General Lafayette on Staten Island.
George Washington Bicentennial Commission
June 21, 1932
Erected 1932 by Richmond Borough George Washington Bicentennial Commission.
Location. 40° 38.259′ N, 74° 4.606′ W. Marker is in Staten Island, New York, in Richmond County. Marker is at the intersection of Victory Blvd. and Bay Street, on the left when traveling west on Victory Blvd.. Touch for map. Marker is located at the northwest corner of Tompkinsville Park. Marker is in this post office area: Staten Island NY 10301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Hiker (a few steps from this The Watering Place (within shouting distance of this marker); Giovanni Verrazzano (approx. 0.3 miles away); Commodore John Barry (approx. 0.3 miles away); New Brighton World War II Memorial (approx. 0.8 miles away); Neville House (approx. 1.3 miles away); Livingston World War II Memorial (approx. 1.6 miles away); Bayonne Terrorist Victims (approx. 1.8 miles away in New Jersey). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Staten Island.
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 21, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 459 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 21, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.