Waterford in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Confederate Capt. Elijah V. White arrived here in January 1862 to recruit his 35th Battalion Virginia Cavalry from the area's secessionists. (His second in command, Waterford farm boy Lt. Frank Myers, later wrote The Comanches, a history of the battalion.) White's troopers patrolled the border for runaway slaves and Unionist spies until a Union offensive in March 1862 forced a temporary evacuation. Townspeople welcomed Col. John W. Geary's 28th Pennsylvania Infantry with open arms as liberators, after months of Confederate occupation and threats to burn their "cursed Quaker settlement."
Local Unionists, including Quakers, joined Capt. Samuel C. Means's Independent Loudoun Rangers, the only Federal cavalry raised in Confederate Virginia. On August 27, 1862, White's "Rebels" jolted townspeople awake by firing from across the
Waterford and nearby Lovettsville ("North Loudoun") remained firmly Unionist, with reinstated U.S. mail and trading privileges. In 1863, these communities joined other areas under the Restored Government of Virginia in Alexandria. Here in 1864, three Quaker girls began publishing the Waterford News, an underground Union newspaper.
"You just aught to have seen how glad [the were] to see us Yankees."
- Cpl. James P. Steward, 28th Pennsylvania Infantry, March 23, 1862
Erected 2011 by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 39° 11.175′ N, 77° 36.644′ W. Marker is in Waterford, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker is at the intersection of Patrick Street and High Street (County Route 665), on the right when traveling west on Patrick Street. Touch for map. Located next to the Waterford Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Waterford Baptist Church (a few steps from this marker); The Tin Shop (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mutual Fire Insurance Company of Loudoun County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fairfax Meeting of Friends (approx. ¼ mile away); Independent Loudoun Virginia Rangers (approx. 0.3 miles away); Waterford - An Old Mill Town (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Waterford Mill (approx. 0.3 miles away); How it Works (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waterford.
Also see . . . Fight at the Baptist Church. An article detailing the fighting at the church in 1862. (Submitted on May 21, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Waterford.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 21, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 828 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 21, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.