Northfield in Franklin County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Nathanial Dickinson House
1630 - 1930
Erected 1930 by Massachusetts Bay Colony -Tercentenary Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Massachusetts Bay Colony—Tercentenary Commission Markers marker series.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 42° 42.943′ N, 72° 26.871′ W. Marker was in Northfield, Massachusetts, in Franklin County. Marker could be reached from U.S. 10. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Northfield MA 01360, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. First Settlement (approx. 1.9 miles away); King Philip's Hill (approx. 2.6 miles away); Indian Council Fires (approx. 3.8 miles away); Captain Richard Beers (approx. 4 miles away); Deacon Ebenezer Sheldon's Fort (approx. 4.2 miles away); Lieut. Ebenezer Sheldon's Fort (approx. 4½ miles away); Hinsdale's Auto Pioneer (approx. 5.2 miles away in New Hampshire); Newhall & Stebbins (approx. 5.2 miles away in New Hampshire). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Northfield.
More about this marker.
1. The Line of Forts
This marker was placed at the site of one the forts established by Governor William Shirley, along the northern border of Massachusetts, as a defense against the French and their Indian allies. Construction of these forts or fortified houses immediately preceded the French & Indian War (1754-1763).
These frontier fortifications of the Massachusetts Bay Colony were the subject of a 2006 publication titled The Line of Forts (Historical Archaeology on the Colonial Frontier of Massachusetts) by Michael D. Coe (http://www.upne.com/1-58465-542-9.html).
— Submitted May 23, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.
Categories. • Colonial Era • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 22, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 786 times since then and 132 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 22, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.