Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Franklin in Venango County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fort Venango

 
 
Fort Venango Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, May 30, 2011
1. Fort Venango Marker
Inscription. To assert control over the area, Fort Venango was built near this point by the British in 1760. The fort was attacked and destroyed by Indians in 1763 during Pontiac's uprising.
 
Erected 1971 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 41° 23.359′ N, 79° 49.33′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Pennsylvania, in Venango County. Marker is at the intersection of 8th Street (U.S. 322) and Elk Street, on the left when traveling west on 8th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin PA 16323, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Machault (a few steps from this marker); Old Garrison (approx. 0.3 miles away); Galena-Signal Oil Company (approx. 0.6 miles away); George Bissell (approx. 0.6 miles away); Venango County (approx. 0.6 miles away); Samuel C.T. Dodd (approx. 0.7 miles away); Franklin (approx. 0.7 miles away); Major General Jesse L. Reno (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
 
Also see . . .  Fort Venango - Behind the Marker. ExplorePAhistory.com (Submitted on June 7, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesNative AmericansWar, French and Indian
 
Fort Venango Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, May 30, 2011
2. Fort Venango Marker
Fort Venango Map image. Click for full size.
By N/a
3. Fort Venango Map
This 1878 map shows the positions of Fort Venango, Fort Machault and Fort Franklin at the confluence of French Creek and the Allegheny River, at what is now the city of Franklin, Pennsylvania. Fort Venango's design is detailed in the diagram on the left. From A History of Venango County, 1879 Courtesy the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 31, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 610 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 31, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.   3. submitted on July 28, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement