Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Barkeyville in Venango County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Venango Path

 
 
Venango Path Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, May 30, 2011
1. Venango Path Marker
Inscription. A major Indian path from the Forks of the Ohio (Pittsburgh) to Venango (Franklin) was located just west of here. George Washington used it in traveling north to Fort Le Boeuf in 1753. Captain Jonathan Hart widened the path in 1787 on his way to build Fort Franklin. Here at Mayes Forks, the house on the northwest corner was a major hotel—and a mail and stagecoach stop—during the early nineteenth century.
 
Erected 1987 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 41° 13.955′ N, 79° 57.381′ W. Marker is near Barkeyville, Pennsylvania, in Venango County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Route 8 (Pennsylvania Route 3013) and Georgetown Road, on the right when traveling south on Old Route 8. Touch for map. Located in Wesley, just north of Barkeyville. Marker is in this post office area: Grove City PA 16127, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cunningham Memorial Park (approx. 8.6 miles away); "Freedom Road" (approx. 10.2 miles away); Fort Venango (approx. 12.9 miles away); Fort Machault (approx. 12.9 miles away);
Venango Path Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, May 1, 2013
2. Venango Path Marker
Old Garrison (approx. 13 miles away); Franklin (approx. 13.2 miles away); Galena-Signal Oil Company (approx. 13.2 miles away); Samuel C.T. Dodd (approx. 13.2 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Venango Path - Behind the Marker. ExplorePAhistory.com (Submitted on June 7, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Native AmericansRoads & Vehicles
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 31, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 459 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on May 31, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.   2. submitted on May 1, 2013, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement