Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cooperstown in Otsego County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

George Croghan

 
 
George Croghan Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, June 10, 2011
1. George Croghan Marker
Inscription.
Indian Agent - Land Speculator
Lived in Pioneer Log House
Located Here 1769-1770.
General James Clinton's
Headquarters Here 1779.

 
Erected 1956 by New York State Education Department.
 
Location. 42° 41.999′ N, 74° 55.341′ W. Marker is in Cooperstown, New York, in Otsego County. Marker is on Main Street near Fair Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is across the street from the local public library. Marker is at or near this postal address: 19 Main Street, Cooperstown NY 13326, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of the First National Baseball Hall of Fame Induction (within shouting distance of this marker); Clinton's Dam (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Council Rock (about 700 feet away); General Clinton's Dam (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oldest Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Doubleday Field (approx. 0.2 miles away); Indian Grave (approx. mile away); "Natty Bumpo" (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cooperstown.
 
Regarding George Croghan.

Col George Croghan
Birth: 1720, Ireland
Death:
George Croghan Marker image. Click for full size.
By Scott J. Payne, September 19, 2015
2. George Croghan Marker
Freshly Painted Marker.
Aug. 31, 1782 Pennsylvania, USA

George Croghan, Frontiersman, Trader, Indian Agent, Diplomat, Explorer and Land Speculator. Colonel George Croghan served with Colonel George Washington during the French & Indian War, most notably with Braddock in 1755. He played a major role in Pontiac's War, and negotiated a peace treaty with Pontiac. Croghan served as Deputy Superintendent of Indian Affairs under Sir William Johnson for 15 years. At one time he was the second largest landowner in Pennsylvania after the Penn family. In 1768 he was granted the original Croghan patent of the Otsego Tract of 80,000 acres by the Indian department of the crown. Croghan defaulted on his patent in 1773 and by 1785 the right to 30,000 acres of the land had passed to William Cooper, founder of the Village of Otsego which was renamed Cooperstown in his honor after his death in 1809. Croghan's Mohawk wife, Catherine Tekarihoga, was the daughter of a leading Mohawk Sachem; their child, Catherine Adwontishon Croghan, married Chief Joseph Brant, the Iroquois ally of the British during the Revolutionary War. His only white child, Susannah, married Major Augustine Prevost, son of British Major General Augustine Prevost. Croghan sided with the Americans, chairing the Committee of Correspondence at Fort Pitt in 1775. He died at Passyunk, Philadelphia, on August 31, 1782, and is buried in historic
George Croghan Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, June 10, 2011
3. George Croghan Marker
The Marker is across the street from the public library on Main Street.
St. Peter's Episcopal Churchyard, Philadelphia. A recognized Sons of the American Revolution Patriot, his grave is marked by a SAR/VA headstone.
 
Also see . . .  Col George Croghan on Find A Grave.Com. (Submitted on June 12, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
 
Additional keywords. Sullivan Expedition Sullivan Campaign Sullivan-Clinton Expedition 1779 Sullivan Campaign
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & SettlersWar, French and IndianWar, US Revolutionary
 
George Croghan Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, June 10, 2011
4. George Croghan Marker
The marker is on the left on Main Street in Cooperstown, NY.
George Croghan Marker image. Click for full size.
Historic American Building Survey, 1958
5. George Croghan Marker
The marker is located near the front of the former Otsego County Bank at 19 Main Street in Cooperstown. This two-story building, erected in 1831, had been used as a bank, as quarters for the Y.M.C.A., and as offices for the Clark Estate.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 12, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 788 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on June 12, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.   2. submitted on September 20, 2015, by Scott J. Payne of Deposit, New York.   3, 4. submitted on June 12, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.   5. submitted on June 23, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement