Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
27th Illinois Infantry
3rd Brigade - 2rd Division.
—4th Corps. —
Nov. 25, 1863, 5 P.M.
Erected 1898 by State of Illinois. (Marker Number MT-157.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, Bragg Reservation marker series.
Location. 35° 1.164′ N, 85° 15.803′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is on South Crest Road north of South Crest Place, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. According to the location provided by National Park Service, the, “Marker located on Missionary Ridge at the Bragg Reservation/1934 Map 136-28.". Marker is in this post office area: Chattanooga TN 37404, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 42nd Illinois Infantry (here, next to this marker); Sheridan's Division (here, next to this marker); Harker's Brigade (here, next to this marker); Battle of Missionary Ridge (here, next to this marker); 36th Illinois Infantry (a few steps from this marker); 79th Illinois Infantry (a few steps from this marker); Union Casualties (a few steps from this marker); Bragg's Headquarters (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
More about this marker. According to the description provided by National Park Service, the monument is, “2'6" x 1'2" x 2'6" high rectangular slab of dark Quincy granite. Rock-faced sides; polished & inscribed front. "Illinois" is in large raised letters on beveled top. Marks unit's position at 5:00 p.m. on 11/25/1863."
Also see . . . National Park Service List of Classified Structures. This is a link to information provided by the National Park Service regarding this particular monument. (Submitted on August 23, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 23, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 13, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 375 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 13, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.