Nevada in Vernon County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Financial center and shipping point, this prairie town was founded in 1855 as the seat of Vernon County, fertile farming and coal producing area. Col. D. C. Hunter, who laid out the town, named it for Nevada City, Calif. The county, legally organized in 1855, after an earlier attempt in 1851, is named for state Senator Col. Miles Vernon.
Settled largely by Southerners, Nevada and Vernon County were deeply involved in the Kansas Border War, 1854-1859, over extension of slavery. One of the raids of the time was made by John Brown into north Vernon County. During the Civil War, the area was overrun by troops of both sides and guerrilla raiders. Federal militia burned Nevada to the ground, May 26, 1863.
After the war, Nevada prospered with the coming of the M. K. T. Railroad in 1870 and the Missouri Pacific branch in 1882. Cottey Junior College for women was founded by Virginia Cottey Stockard, 1884. In 1927 she deeded the school to the P. E. O. Sisterhood. State Hospital No. 3 was located here in 1885. Nearby Camp Clark, Missouri National Guard training area, dates from 1919.
(See other side)
(Continued from other side)
Nevada lies between the Great Western Plains and the Ozark Highland of Missouri, in a region acquired through the 1808 and 1825 Osage Indian
The first white man to visit the villages was Charles Du Tisné, 1719, on an exploring trip for the French Government. In the Spanish period, traders Auguste and Pierre Chouteau built Fort Carondelet, 1795, on the Osage River, above the villages. Explorer Zebulon M. Pike visited the Osage on his 1806 trip to the Southwest. Noted Harmony Mission, 1821-1836, an Indian school, was on the Osage River in Bates County.
William Joel Stone, Congressman, 1885-91; Missouri Governor, 1893-97; and U.S. Senator, 1903-18; made Nevada his home. The state erected the Frederick Hibbard statue of Stone on the courthouse lawn in 1935.
Erected 1955 by State Historical Society of Missouri and State Highway Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Missouri, State Historical Society of marker series.
Location. 37° 50.454′ N, 94° 20.449′ W. Marker is in Nevada, Missouri, in Vernon County. Marker is on Centennial Boulevard Touch for map. Marker is in B. E. Davis Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 508 North Centennial Boulevard, Nevada MO 64772, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Vernon County War Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); Vernon County Valor (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Vernon County War Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); Vernon County Courthouse (approx. 0.9 miles away); Nevada - Vernon County Centennial (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Burning of Nevada (approx. 0.9 miles away); William Joel Stone (approx. 0.9 miles away); The Battle of Drywood (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nevada.
Also see . . .
1. History of Nevada, Missouri. (Submitted on July 1, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. History of Vernon County, Missouri. (Submitted on July 1, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Native Americans • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 1, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 460 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 1, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 4. submitted on November 8, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.