Nyack in Rockland County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Nyack First Settlement
The Tappan Indians, from time immemorial, occupied these lands fronting on the river shore. Here, in summer, they lived upon the fish and oysters which the waters produced in abundance. In the Algonkian dialect, spoken by them, they called this locality
* * * * * * * * * * * * *
The First Settlement
of white people within the limits of the present
Rockland County, New York
took place in 1675
to whom must be awarded the title of
The Founders of Nyack Village
Incorporation of Nyack Village:
This tablet erected by the Rockland County Society in the 263rd year of the settlement, A.D. 1938
Erected by Rockland County Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the New York, Historical Society of Rockland County marker series.
Location. 41° 5.418′ N, 73° 55.082′ W. Marker is in Nyack, New York, in Rockland County. Marker is on Burd Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is on the side of a building on Burd Street, between S Broadway and Piermont Avenue. Marker is at or near this postal address: 17 S Broadway, Nyack NY 10960, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Reformed Church of Nyack (within shouting distance of this marker); Couch Court Memorial Park (about 500 feet away); Hopper House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Carson McCullers (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic Underground Railroad (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Historic Underground Railroad (approx. 0.6 miles away); Oak Hill Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nyack.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 7, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 621 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 7, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.