Kansas City in Jackson County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Sisters of Saint Mary
This monument is dedicated to the Sisters of Saint Mary, now known as the Franciscan Sisters of Mary, who established St. Mary's Hospital on the property immediately to the south.
The cornerstone for St. Mary's was laid on October 13, 1907, and the hospital was dedicated May 18, 1909, to provide for the health care needs of the citizens of Kansas City. The Sisters serving in the hospital touched many lives until it closed on February 11, 1988. This monument consists of the original cornerstone, brick from the original chapel, and the chapel bell.
Location. 39° 4.598′ N, 94° 35.11′ W. Marker is in Kansas City, Missouri, in Jackson County. Marker is on Main Street near Memorial Drive, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is 100 yards north of the Federal Reserve Bank building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Memorial Drive, Kansas City MO 64108, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Cemetery (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Spanish-American War/Philippine Insurrection/China Relief Expedition Monument (about 700 feet away); William Gebhardt (approx. 0.2 miles away); Veterans Memorial Flag James Silas Calhoun (approx. 0.2 miles away); Alexander Majors (approx. 0.2 miles away); Col. William Miles Chick (approx. ¼ mile away); Franklin Pierce Fisk (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kansas City.
Also see . . .
1. St. Mary's Hospital Time Capsule. (Submitted on July 9, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. History of the C.S. Bell Bellfoundry. (Submitted on July 9, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Science & Medicine • Women •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 24, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 9, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 528 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 9, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.