Safety Harbor in Pinellas County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Espiritu Santo Springs
Where Healing Waters Flow
On May 18, 1539, Spanish explorer Hernando de Soto reached the shores of what is now Tampa Bay, landing near these mineral springs used by the native population for nearly 10,000 years. Believing he had found the legendary Fountain of Youth somehow missed by Ponce de Leon, de Soto established a camp here, naming the crystal waters Espiritu Santo Springs - "Springs of the Holy Spirit."
Each of the five springs located on this site was identified and said to cure certain ailments, a claim drawing thousands of visitors yearly to the "Health Giving City" of Safety Harbor.
The Safety Harbor Sanitorium opened its doors in 1926, offering porcelain bath tubs and a large swimming pool for "taking the waters". In 1945 the springs and sanitorium were sold to Dr. Salem H. Baranoff, who opened the facility as a health spa.
Today the springs continue to attract health-conscious travelers.
Erected 1998 by the Safety Harbor Resort and Spa and Florida Department of State, Sandra B. Mortham, Secretary of State. (Marker Number F-381.)
Location. 27° 59.458′ N, 82° 41.258′ W. Marker is in Safety Harbor, Florida, in Pinellas Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 105 North Bayshore Drive, Safety Harbor FL 34695, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. “The Baranoff Oak” (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Safety Harbor Historical Site: Tucker Mansion (about 800 feet away); Odet Philippe (approx. 1.3 miles away); Philippe Park (approx. 1.3 miles away); Safety Harbor Site (approx. 1.4 miles away); Espiritu Santo Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Bahia Espiritu Santo Mission (approx. 1.4 miles away); Endangered (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Safety Harbor.
More about this marker. The marker stands outside the Safety Harbor Resort and Spa, just to the left of the main entrance area, across from the valet parking lot.
The marker is capped with the Florida Historical Marker Program logo.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Exploration • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2018. This page originally submitted on July 10, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,652 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on July 10, 2011, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. 6. submitted on October 30, 2015. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.