Council Grove in Morris County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
In 1825 growing traffic over the Santa Fe trail brought a government survey and right-of-way treaties with certain Indians. Council Grove takes its name from an agreement made here that year with the Osage nation. Indians farther west continued their attacks on weak or unwary caravans. A large grove on the river here became the rendezvous where wagon trains banded together for safe travel and to make repairs from the last available timber. Fremont's expedition of 1845 and Doniphan's troops bound for the Mexican War in 1846 camped on the site. In 1849 the overland mail was established, with supply headquarters here, followed the next year by monthly coach service. Travel to Santa Fe through Council Grove ended in 1866 when the Union Pacific reached Junction City.
This area became a Kaw Indian reservation in 1846. With the Indians came the first white settler who built a trading post. A building erected here in 1850 by the Methodist church as a mission and school is now a state-owned museum. The Indians in 1872 signed a treaty for removal to Indian territory, now Oklahoma. There are several places of historical interest in and near the town.
Erected by Kansas State Historical Society and State Highway Commission, and Rotary International. (Marker Number 21.)
Marker series. Kansas Historical Society marker series.
Location. 38° 39.734′ N, 96° 29.299′ W. Marker is in Council Grove, Kansas, in Morris County. Touch for map. Marker is along the Neosho Riverwalk, about 200 feet northwest of the intersection of Main Street (US Route 56/Kansas Route 177) and Union Street (Kansas Route 177). Marker is in this post office area: Council Grove KS 66846, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Guardian of the Grove (within shouting distance of this marker); Neosho Crossing (within shouting distance of this marker); Rendezvous on the Trail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Madonna of the Trail (about 400 feet away); Masonic Lodge Hall (about 400 feet away); Hays House (about 500 feet away); A Well-furnished Store (about 500 feet away); Post Office Oak (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Council Grove.
Also see . . .
1. Santa Fe National Historic Trail. (Submitted on July 24, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Council Grove, Kansas. (Submitted on July 24, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 24, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 309 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 24, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.