Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
74th Illinois Infantry
1st Brigade - 2d Division
—4th Corps. —
Nov. 25, 1863, 5 P.M.
Erected 1898 by the State of Illinois. (Marker Number MT-169.)
Location. 35° 1.104′ N, 85° 15.89′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is on South Crest Road south of South Crest Place, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. This marker is located a slight distance south of the Bragg Reservation, on the right (west) side of South Crest Road. According to the location provided by the National Park Service, “Marker located at 195 South Crest Road/1934 Map 141 on Missionary Ridge.". Marker is at or near this postal address: 114 South Crest Road, Chattanooga TN 37404, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sherman's Brigade (within shouting distance of this marker); 88th Illinois Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); 24th Wisconsin Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); Dawson's Georgia Battery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Johnson's Division Adams' Brigade. (about 300 feet away); Missionary Ridge School (about 400 feet away); 19th Illinois Infantry (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
More about this marker. According to the description provided by the National Park Service, the monument is, “2'6" x 1'2" x 2'6" high rectangular slab of dark Quincy granite. Rock-faced sides; polished & inscribed front. 'Illinois' is in large raised letters on beveled top. Marks unit's participation in the Battle of Missionary Ridge.”
Also see . . . National Park Service List of Classified Structures. This is a link to information provided by the National Park Service regarding this particular monument. (Submitted on August 25, 2016, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 29, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 3, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 341 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 3, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.