Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
—Maj. Gen. Benjamin F. Cheatham. —
Cheatham's Division - Hardee's Corps.
Maj. Gen. Benjamin F. Cheatham.
Nov. 25, 1863.
Jackson's Brigade - Brig. Gen. John K. Jackson.
Moore's Brigade - Brig. Gen. John C. Moore.
Walthall's Brigade - Brig. Gen. Edward Cary Walthall.
Wright's Brigade - Brig. Gen. Marcus J. Wright.
Wright's Brigade - Col. John H. Anderson.
During the night of the 24th of November the Division excepting Wright's Brigade, was withdrawn from Lookout Mountain and sent to the right on Missionary Ridge, taking position on the right of Hindman's (Patton Anderson's) Division. Wright's Brigade which had been holding Charleston, Tenn., was moved by rail on the evening of Nov. 23d to Chickamauga Station, and thence to the east bank of the Chickamauga, where it operated during the battle between the Shallow Ford and the Lower Railroad bridges.
[Second Tablet of Historical Marker]:
When Gen. Baird's Division which was left of the assaulting line of the Army of the Cumberland, had carried the ridge in the vicinity of the observation tower to the south of this position about 5 p.m., Nov. 25th, and turned northward, Jackson's Brigade was thrown across the ridge to face it. Moore's Brigade was moved by the flank in the rear of and to the left of Jackson's. Jackson's Brigade gave way and fell back through the ranks of Moore's, but the later checked the movement and the two Brigades fought as one until nearly dark when they retired down the ridge. Walthall's Brigade having formed line across the ridge while under fire, and extending down the slope, on the first high ground north of the position from which Moore and Jackson had retired, held its ground against Baird's advance until fighting ceased after dark. The Division withdrew toward Chickamauga Station by way of the railroad bridge.
Erected 1890 by the Chickamauga-Chattanooga National Battlefield Commission. (Marker Number MT-347A-B.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, Missionary Ridge, and the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park: November 25, 1863 marker series.
Location. Touch for map. This historical marker is located along the western crest of Missionary Ridge, between the DeLong Reservation and the Phelps' Monument. Marker is at or near this postal address: 280 North Crest Road, Chattanooga TN 37404, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. McCants' Florida Battery. (within shouting distance of this marker); Phelps' Brigade (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hindman's Division (about 400 feet away); Jackson's Brigade. (about 500 feet away); E. H. Phelps Memorial Monument (about 500 feet away); 14th Ohio Infantry (about 600 feet away); 9th Ohio Infantry. (about 600 feet away); 38th Ohio Infantry (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chattanooga.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on May 3, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 14, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 622 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 16, 2011, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.