Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fond du Lac in Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Military Road

 
 
The Military Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, August 17, 2011
1. The Military Road Marker
[south side of marker]
Inscription. The Military Road, built in 1835, became the first highway to cross the state. Congress appropriated $5,000 to connect the St. Lawrence and Mississippi River basins.

The troops at Fort Crawford constructed the road from Prairie du Chien to Portage; those at Fort Winnebago extended it to Fond du Lac; and those at Fort Howard completed it to Green Bay. Blazed trees and ploughed furrows marked the route. Brush laid in river beds made wagon crossings possible. The early thoroughfare followed many Indian trails.

The army officials who supervised the work became interested in the future of the territory and invested their own finances in its development. The Military Road, the first influence of the federal government in Wisconsin, encouraged settlers to come to this territory.

Erected 1975

 
Erected 1975 by the Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 208.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 43° 46.534′ N, 88° 27.102′ W. Marker is in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, in Fond du Lac County. Marker is at the intersection of South Military Road and West 2nd Street, on the
The Military Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, August 17, 2011
2. The Military Road Marker
[north side of marker with duplicate text]
right when traveling north on South Military Road. Touch for map. Marker is west of the Fond du Lac Post Office. Marker is at or near this postal address: 99 West 2nd Street, Fond du Lac WI 54935, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Union Soldiers Monument (approx. mile away); Wisconsin Progressive Party (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pioneer Military Road (approx. half a mile away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); Spanish–American War Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); Locomotive No. 2714 (approx. 1.3 miles away); G. A. R. Memorial Drive (approx. 1.4 miles away); Supple's Marsh (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fond du Lac.
 
Also see . . .  Military Roads: Early Road Development. Wisconsin Historical Society. "Initially the military roads served as a communications and supply link between the forts in Wisconsin and Fort Dearborn in Illinois. Early wayside hotels were constructed along the military roads. The first building in Fond du Lac was a double-log structure erected in 1836, known as the Fond du Lac House, which served as a tavern and an inn." (Submitted on August 17, 2011.) 
 
Categories. MilitaryNative AmericansRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
Military Road and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, August 17, 2011
3. Military Road and Marker
[southbound]
Military Road and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith L, August 17, 2011
4. Military Road and Marker
[northbound]
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 17, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 568 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 17, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.
Paid Advertisement