Near Low Moor in Alleghany County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Oakland Presbyterian Church and Cemetery
Jackson River Station
Around 1857, the Virginia Central Railroad completed the Jackson River Depot and was the terminus of the railroad for trains and travelers heading west. Travelers had to continue their travels by horseback or stagecoach. They often stayed in the Jackson River Hotel that was located just across the road from the church. The station was also called “Flat Boat Warf” because batteaux boats would bring items needing to go east to the station for shipment on the railroad. The depot was located approximately 200 feet to the east of the church. During the Civil War, the Jackson River Station was an important point in transporting troops from Richmond to the west.
Changes to the River and Road
The Jackson River and the Lexington - Covington Turnpike curved itís way along the north side or front of the church. In 1922, the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad made major improvements to the railyards. In order to enlarge the yard, they diverted the Jackson River to a channel further north and relocated the main rail line from the south side of the church to the north side. The main road was relocated to the south side of the church on the old railbed.
In 2000, a grant from the Virginia Department of Transportation was
Location. 37° 48.117′ N, 79° 51.593′ W. Marker is near Low Moor, Virginia, in Alleghany County. Marker can be reached from Selma Low Moor Road (Virginia Route 696) 0.2 miles west of Oakland Drive (Virginia Route 1002), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clifton Forge VA 24422, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oakland Grove Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Oakland Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Oakland Presbyterian Church and Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Jackson River Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); C&O Railroad Shops (approx. 1.4 miles away); Low Moor Iron Company Coke Ovens (approx. 1Ĺ miles away); Masonic Theatre (approx. 2.1 miles away); Douthat State Park (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Low Moor.
Also see . . . Oakland Grove Presbyterian Church (pdf file). National Register of Historic Places (Submitted on August 22, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Railroads & Streetcars • Roads & Vehicles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2017. This page originally submitted on August 22, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 426 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 22, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.