St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Santo Domingo Redoubt
The Defensive System of Colonial St. Augustine
Between 1704-1821, the Spanish completed the outworks of the Castillo and erected five earthen walls known as lines of entrenchment. The Rosario Line and the eastern segment of the Cubo Line formed the city wall, also known as the line of circumvallation.
During the British occupation of Florida (1763-1784), military engineers repaired the Spanish fortifications and erected a chain of seven free-standing redoubts west and south of the town.
Erected by City of St. Augustine.
Location. 29° 53.869′ N, 81° 18.911′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker is at the intersection of Orange Street and Cordova Street, on the right when traveling west on Orange Street. Touch for map. Located beside a earthwork reconstruction of Santo Domingo Redoubt. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Santo Domingo Redoubt (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Santo Domingo Redoubt Santo Domingo Redoubt (within shouting distance of this marker); The 1886 Old Drugstore (within shouting distance of this marker); The Cubo Line (within shouting distance of this marker); Los Floridanos (within shouting distance of this marker); Orange Street School (within shouting distance of this marker); Tolomato Indian Village (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 27, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 405 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 27, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.