Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Tolomato Cemetery

 
 
Tolomato Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
1. Tolomato Cemetery Marker
Inscription. During the First Spanish Period, prior to 1763, this site was occupied by the Christian Indian village of Tolomato, with its chapel and burying ground served by Franciscan missionaries. The village was abandoned when Great Britain acquired Florida. In 1777 Father Pedro Camps, pastor of the Minorcan colonists, who had come to St. Augustine after the failure of Andrew Turnbull's settlement at New Smyrna, obtained permission from Governor Patrick Tonyn to establish this cemetery for his parishioners. Father Camps was buried here in 1790; ten years later his remains were re-interred in the "new church", the present Cathedral. The first bishop of St. Augustine, Augustin Verot (d. 1876), is buried in the mortuary chapel at the rear of the cemetery. The last burial took place in 1892.
 
Erected by St. Johns County Historical Commission.
 
Location. 29° 53.817′ N, 81° 18.891′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker is on Cordova Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Located at the entrance to the cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tolomato Indian Village (within shouting distance
Tolomato Cemetery Entrance image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 1, 2011
2. Tolomato Cemetery Entrance
of this marker); The Rosario Defense Line (within shouting distance of this marker); The 1886 Old Drugstore (within shouting distance of this marker); Santo Domingo Redoubt (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Santo Domingo Redoubt (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Santo Domingo Redoubt (about 300 feet away); Los Floridanos (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Santo Domingo Redoubt (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.Native Americans
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 19, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 373 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 19, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement