Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Prisons and Hospitals
During the Civil War, the Union naval blockade closed many Richmond businesses, such as tobacco factories, that depended on trade. Once fighting began in 1861, dormant factories and warehouses were taken over for hospitals and prisons. A prison hospital was set up in Seabrook’s Warehouse on 17th Street. Castle Thunder (between 18th and 19th streets) and its neighbor Castle Lightning, both tobacco warehouses, served as prisons. The first was used for civilian criminals: murderers,
Erected 2011 by Virginia Capital Trail.
Location. 37° 31.839′ N, 77° 25.626′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker is on Dock Street west of South 21st Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond VA 23223, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Libby Prison CSA (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Libby Prison (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Quakers in Richmond (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Oldest House (about 600 feet away); Chesapeake & Ohio Railway (about 800 feet away); City of Richmond Bicentennial (approx. 0.2 miles away); To Honor (approx. 0.2 miles away); Franklin Street Burying Grounds (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
More about this marker. Photo captions:
Union prisoners of war in Libby Prison
Lithograph after drawing by Otto Botticher, 1862. Virginia Historical Society
Libby Prison in wartime
Photograph by Charles R. Rees, 1863. Valentine
In February 1864, more than a hundred prisoners escaped from Libby Prison by digging a tunnel to an adjoining warehouse. Forty-eight were recaptured, two men drowned, and 52 were able to reach Union lines. Virginia Historical Society
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 21, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 732 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 21, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.