Salem in Essex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Saint Peter's Episcopal Church
—Founded 1733 —
It is the mother parish to many Episcopal Congregations in this area.
In 1773 Nathaniel Bowditch was baptized here. He later wrote "The Practical Navigator" used by sailors for centuries.
Jonathan Pue, whose "Scarlet Letter" and papers Nathaniel Hawthorne later found at the Custom House, is buried here.
The first Bishop of Massachusetts, Edward Bass was elected here and the Constitution of the Diocese of Massachusetts was adopted here in 1790.
The present church building was erected in 1833 during the tenure of Bishop Griswold, the fifth Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church.
Salem's oldest bell, cast in 1740, hangs in the tower with a nine bell chime, installed in 1887.
Location. 42° 31.381′ N, Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9 St Peter Street, Salem MA 01970, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Peabody Museum of Salem (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Essex County Armed Services Memorial (about 500 feet away); Lyceum Hall (about 600 feet away); Roger Conant (about 600 feet away); The First Meeting House Erected in Salem (about 800 feet away); The Burying Point (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Town House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Salem Witch Trials Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salem.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 9, 2011, by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 432 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 9, 2011, by Michael Tiernan of Danvers, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.