Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bernardston in Franklin County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Burke Fort

1630 - 1930

 
 
Burke Fort image. Click for full size.
By Russell C. Bixby, July 27, 2012
1. Burke Fort
Inscription. Six rods easterly stood Burke Fort the first and largest, and also the first building in Fall Town. Built in 1738/39 by John Burke it was six rods square and contained eight houses. Fifty persons took shelter here during the old French and Indian War.
 
Erected 1930 by Massachusetts Bay Colony-Tercentenary Commission.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Massachusetts Bay Colony—Tercentenary Commission Markers marker series.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 42° 41.572′ N, 72° 32.97′ W. Marker was in Bernardston, Massachusetts, in Franklin County. Marker was on Bernardston Road (U.S. 5), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Bernardston MA 01337, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Deacon Ebenezer Sheldon's Fort (approx. 1.2 miles away); Connable Fort (approx. 1.4 miles away); Bernardston Veterans Monument (approx. 1.5 miles away); Lieut. Ebenezer Sheldon's Fort (approx. 2.4 miles away); King Philip's Hill (approx. 3.8
Burke Fort from Route 5- Brattleboro Road (South) image. Click for full size.
By Russell C. Bixby
2. Burke Fort from Route 5- Brattleboro Road (South)
miles away); First Settlement (approx. 4.6 miles away); Eunice Williams (approx. 4.8 miles away); Indian Council Fires (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bernardston.
 
Also see . . .
1. Tercentenary Commission Markers. Original 1930 publication by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts of Tercentenary Commission Markers, commemorating the three hundredth anniversary of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. (Submitted on May 21, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.) 

2. The Line of Forts (Historical Archaeology on the Colonial Frontier of Massachusetts). This marker was placed at the site of one the forts established by Governor William Shirley, along the northern border of Massachusetts, as a defense against the French and their Indian allies. Construction of these forts or fortified houses immediately preceded the French & Indian War (1754-1763).
These frontier fortifications of the Massachusetts Bay Colony were the subject of a 2006 publication titled The Line of Forts (Historical Archaeology on the Colonial Frontier of Massachusetts) by Michael D. Coe. (Submitted on July 6, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.) 
Burke Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By Robert J. Briere, September 23, 2005
3. Burke Fort Marker
The marker prior to restoration.

 
Additional comments.
1. Marker Restoration
Burke Fort marker in restoration by Bernardston Board of Selectmen- October 2011
    — Submitted October 13, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.

 
Categories. Colonial EraWar, French and Indian
 
Burke Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By Russell C. Bixby, October 12, 2011
4. Burke Fort Marker
Marker in the process of restoration.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 20, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 865 times since then and 42 times this year. Last updated on October 13, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 27, 2012, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.   3. submitted on May 20, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts.   4. submitted on October 13, 2011, by Russell Chaffee Bixby of Bernardston, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement