New London in New London County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
The Amistad Incident
In the summer of 1839, the Amistad, a Spanish coastal schooner with 39 kidnapped Africans aboard, was found in Long Island Sound and brought to New London. The captives, who had been sold into slavery in Cuba, had taken over the ship and were attempting to sail back to Africa. Following a hearing onboard the Amistad while she lay anchored off Fort Trumbull, the 39 Africans were transported by ship to New Haven for trial on charges of mutiny and murder.
After many appeals, in 1841 the US Supreme Court determined that the Amistad captives had been illegally kidnapped and were due their freedom. Creating an intense legal, political, and widespread debate, the Amistad incident galvanized the abolitionist movement.
Location. 41° 21.26′ N, 72° 5.652′ W. Marker is in New London, Connecticut, in New London County. Marker is at the intersection of State Street, on the right when traveling west on State Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Bank Street, New London CT 06320, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Atlantic Trade (here, next to this marker); The Roots of the US Coast Guard (here, next to this marker); Native Americans The Submarine Industry (here, next to this marker); The 19th Century Port (here, next to this marker); Revolutionary New London (within shouting distance of this marker); Revolutionary War Privateering (within shouting distance of this marker); Nathan Hale (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New London.
Categories. • African Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 14, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 374 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 14, 2011, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.