Old Fields in Hardy County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Location. 39° 8.178′ N, 78° 57.055′ W. Marker is in Old Fields, West Virginia, in Hardy County. Marker is at the intersection of West Virginia Route 220 and Old Fields Road (County Route 2), on the right when traveling north on State Route 220. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5284 US Route 220, Old Fields WV 26845, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Moorefield (approx. 0.3 miles away); Gen. Joseph Neville / McNeill's Raid (approx. 4.8 miles away); Cemetery Hill (approx. 5.1 miles away); McMechen House (approx. 5.2 miles away); Moorefield (approx. 5.2 miles away); Presbyterian Church (approx. 5.3 miles away); Moorefield Presbyterian Church (approx. 5.3 miles away); Maslin House (approx. 5.4 miles away).
Also see . . . Battle of the Trough. Wikipedia entry. “After the defeat of General Edward Braddock at the Battle of the Monongahela (9 July 1755), the
“That spring of 1756, a pair of Indians, a remnant of a party recently defeated (along with their French captain) by a Capt. Jeremiah Smith at the head of the Capon (Cacapon) River, were passing through the upper South Branch (somewhere near the present site of Cabins, West Virginia) when they encountered two white women. One of these (a Mrs. Brake) they killed and the other (a Mrs. Neff) they took prisoner. The party then proceeded to the vicinity of Fort Pleasant (at present day Old Fields and the lowermost of Waggener’s two forts) where they encamped. That night Neff escaped and fled to the fort. ... ” (Submitted on October 30, 2011.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 30, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 547 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 30, 2011, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.