Victoria in Capital Regional District, British Columbia — The Canadian Pacific
The Victoria Centennial Fountain
Activated 2 August 1968 by Hon. W.A.C. Bennett, L.E.D.. Premier.
The Crown Colony of Vancouver Island 1845
The Dependency of the Queen Charlotte Islands 1852
The Crown Colony of British Columbia 1856
The Stickeen Territory 1862
Plaques on the fountain tell the origin of their union to become the British Columbia of today. The animal symbols are those from which all Indian Societies obtained their main totems of the four areas. The first impetus to exploration and settlement of the Pacific Northwest was provided by fur traders. The rare sea otter drew hunters to the North West coasts. Thousands of skins were taken by fur hunters of many nationalities. The sea otter has been chosen as the theme for the fountain centerpiece.
Gold on the Frasier and Thompson Rivers brought thousands of miners to the mainland. In 1858, to ensure British sovereignty, the Crown Colony of British Columbia was created and formally proclaimed at Fort Langley on November 19th. Its boundaries were progressively enlarged until by 1866 all British territory west of the Rocky Mountains was united under the name of British Columbia. In 1871 this Colony joined the Canadian Federation as the sixth province.
The Queen Charlotte
Following the rush to Fraser River in 1858 the miners pushed northward to the Nass, Stickeen and Peace Rivers. To provide for government of the region the Territory of Stickeen was created in 1862. It survived only one year when a redefinition of the boundaries of British Columbia made it a part of the lower mainland colony.
(Kwakiutl, Nootka, Salish)
Vancouver Island, first occupied for Britain by Captain James Cook in 1778, became a centre for the fur trade. Named after Captain George Vancouver, the Crown Colony of Vancouverís Island was established in 1849 to buttress British sovereignty on the West Coast. In 1856 representative government was instituted and a Legislative Assembly elected. It was united with the mainland colony of British Columbia in 1866.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 550 Superior Street, Victoria, British Columbia V8W, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. “The Birdcages” (within shouting distance of this marker); Figures and Medallions of the Library Wing of Parliament Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Knowledge Totem (about 210 meters away, measured in a direct line); Creation of the Province of British Columbia (about 240 meters away); The Mackenzie Papineau Battalion of the International Brigades (about 240 meters away); To Our Glorious Dead (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); The Netherland Carillon / History of the Carillon (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Kwakiutl Bear Pole (approx. 0.3 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Victoria.
More about this marker. This marker consists of five parts, a key plaque and four animal symbols (bear, raven, wolf and eagle) with plaques surrounding the fountain.
Categories. • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 2, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 1,852 times since then and 116 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on November 2, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.