Lewes in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
John Penrose Virden
a Delaware River Pilot, built this
house in 1888. He was a co-founder
& the first President of the Pilots
Association. Virden died in 1934 and
is buried across the street in
St. Peters Cemetery.
Location. 38° 46.559′ N, 75° 8.454′ W. Marker is in Lewes, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on 2nd Street near Mulberry Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 217 2nd Street, Lewes DE 19958, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ryves Holt House (a few steps from this marker); Old Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Peter's Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Lewes (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Bethel Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dodds Corner (about 300 feet away); The New Devon Inn (about 300 feet away); Last Lewes Pilot Skiff (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewes.
Regarding John Penrose Virden. Pilots Association: Members guide cargo vessels to and from the ports of Wilmington, Del., and Philadelphia
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 507 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 17, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.