Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Seaford in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Stein Highway

 
 
Stein Highway Marker image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, December 8, 2007
1. Stein Highway Marker
Inscription. This roadway is named for Samuel J. Stein (B. 1878 - D. 1961). A native of Austria, Mr. Stein came to Seaford in 1897. He was active in the business and civic affairs of the community for more than half a century. In the 1920s the State of Delaware initiated a program to improve the state's roads. The effort was initially impeded by costs associated with the purchase of rights-of-way. Convinced of the value of a modern roadway to connect Seaford to rural areas stretching westward to the Maryland line, Mr. Stein embarked upon a personal crusade to secure the permission of affected landowners. A strong advocate of education, he emphasized the advantages of attending more centralized schools, and the benefits for local farmers and businesses. As a result, he was able to secure the donation of necessary titles, making this the first paved roadway in the state to be built without property costs. Construction was begun in 1923, and completed in 1925.
 
Erected 2005 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-197.)
 
Location. 38° 38.721′ N, 75° 37.813′ W. Marker is in Seaford, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is at the intersection of Stein Highway (Delaware Route 20) and McKean Street, on the right when traveling
Stein Highway image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, December 8, 2007
2. Stein Highway
From the marker, looking west toward the Maryland line.
east on Stein Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Seaford DE 19973, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Seaford Veterans Memorial (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Delaware Railroad (approx. 0.9 miles away); St. John's United Methodist Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Seaford Fire Department (approx. one mile away); Old Seaford Post Office (approx. one mile away); Governor Ross Mansion (approx. one mile away); Family Home of William H. H. Ross (approx. one mile away); Mount Olivet United Methodist Church (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seaford.
 
Categories. 20th CenturyIndustry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles
 
Stein Highway image. Click for full size.
By F. Robby, December 8, 2007
3. Stein Highway
From the marker, looking east toward Seaford.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 27, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,203 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 27, 2008, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement