Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Houston in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Lubbock Ranch

 
 
Lubbock Ranch Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, February 14, 2008
1. Lubbock Ranch Marker
Inscription. Texas statesman Francis Richard Lubbock (1815-1905) owned a 1300-acre ranch near this site. A native of South Carolina, Lubbock came to Houston in 1837. He soon opened a general store and was a business, political and civic leader. He served as clerk of the Republic of Texas House of Representatives in 1837 and as comptroller of public accounts from late 1837 to 1839.

Lubbock and his first wife Adele (Baron) lived on their ranch here from 1846 to 1861. Beginning with a few cows, pigs and sheep accepted as payment while he was district clerk of Harris County (1841-1857), Lubbock built up large herds that grazed on his lands between the Brazos and Trinity rivers. Cattle were loaded onto steamships at the mouth of Sims Bayou and shipped to New Orleans to market. In 1858, forty camels grazed on the Lubbock Ranch before being driven west to be used by the United States War Department in desert transportation.

Francis R. Lubbock served as lieutenant governor of Texas from 1857 to 1859, and governor from 1861 to 1863 during the Civil War. He entered Confederate military service at the end of his term as governor, and served as a Lt. Colonel in the Red River campaign. Lubbock left Texas in 1864 to serve on the staff of Confederate president Jefferson Davis in Richmond, Virginia. Captured with Davis at the end of the war
Francis Richard Lubbock image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne
2. Francis Richard Lubbock
from The Biographical Dictionary of America, 1906, by Rossiter Johnson.
in 1865, he was imprisoned for eight months at Fort Delaware.

Former governor Lubbock served as Texas state treasurer from 1879 to 1891. He remained active in public service until the age of 80, and spent his last years in Austin, where he is buried in the Texas State Cemetery.
 
Erected 1970 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10721.)
 
Location. 29° 39.925′ N, 95° 16.372′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker can be reached from Rockhill Street near Glencrest Avenue, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Located at the entrance to Dow Park. Marker is in this post office area: Houston TX 77061, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Airplane Flight Over Texas (approx. 2.4 miles away); Old Harrisburg (approx. 3˝ miles away); a different marker also named Old Harrisburg (approx. 3˝ miles away); Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado Railroad (approx. 3.9 miles away); Allen Ranch (approx. 4˝ miles away); Vince's Bridge (approx. 4.9 miles away); Crown Hill Cemetery (approx. 5 miles away); Magnolia Park City Hall and Central Fire Station (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
 
Categories. AgricultureSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 3, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 718 times since then and 97 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on December 3, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.   2. submitted on June 24, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.