Alvin in Brazoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
On Feb. 11, 1919 F. E. Acton, Y. M. Edwards, E. G. Ward, W. L. Kidd, O. W. Glascock, and W. C. Wilson decided to pass the cemetery governing to their successors since their "body of veterans had thinned down" and they were not able to bear the responsibility. The Lamar Fontain Chapter of the U. D. C. unveiled the large monument on May 9, 1924. Veteran J. L. Durham was inadvertently ommitted.
Articles of a non-profit, voluntary corporation were established Dec. 28, 1934 and rewritten Apr. 26, 1983. In 1968 the trustees established a mowing fund. This fund now operates under the State of Texas laws where provision is made in Sec. 6, Art. 912A for taxing lot owners for "care and upkeep". This was the first cemetery in the county kept mowed under this provision.
Trustees attempt to maintain the operation of the cemetery in the spirit in which it was originally intended and strive to develop policies in keeping with the consensus of the previous trustees.
Erected 1986 by Confederate Cemetery Trustees.
Location. 29° 25.764′ Touch for map. The coordinates are for the entrance to the cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Alvin TX 77511, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Magnolia Creek Cemetery (approx. 6.1 miles away); The Fig Industry In Friendswood (approx. 6.7 miles away); Main Street Fig Orchards (approx. 6.8 miles away); Evergreen Cemetery (approx. 6.8 miles away); Friends Church Cemetery (approx. 7 miles away); Oldest Structure Remaining (approx. 7 miles away); Friendswood (approx. 7 miles away); Quaker Academy (approx. 7 miles away).
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 4, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 954 times since then and 83 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 4, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.