Crawford State Park in Crawford County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
A Brief History of the 788th Company [CCC]
Who were these men who built Crawford State Lake?
Company 788, CCC, was formed at Camp Whiteside, Fort Riley, Kansas, May 19, 1933. The company was made up of Kansas boys, the largest percentage coming from the eastern part of the state.
After conditioning at Fort Riley, the company was transferred to Park Rapids, Minnesota; the project was officially known as S-70 and located twenty-seven miles northwest of Park Rapids at Camp Ruteledge.
Due to the many calls for fire fighting the company derived its nickname of "Fire Devil" which has remained with them throughout life, its service. The camp paper retains the name of "Fire Devil" although the construction of dams is far removed from the original type of work engaged in.
On April 9, 1934, the company was transferred to Camp Kinney, fourteen miles northwest of Kalvesta, Kinney County, Kansas.
At this camp the company replaced Company 753, a Nebraska Company, and continued the construction of an earth fill dam at that camp.
Upon completion of the project at Camp Kinney, the company was transferred to Farlington, Kansas. They arrived at their new location on June 6, 1935. The camp is located three miles northeast of Farlington, in Crawford County, Kansas, and is officially known as SCS 10-L.
The project at Farlington is the construction of an earth fill dam, approximately
The park is to be under the Kansas Fish and Game Commission, and covers an irregular area of approximately four hundred and sixty-four acres, of which one hundred and sixty-five acres will be covered by water when the water is at spillway elevation.
The construction of the park not only entails the construction of an earth fill dam, but also covers the construction of roads within the park area, a spillway, two hundred and eighty feet wide, and clearing of the lake site of timber.
Upon the completion of the project at Farlington, the state should have a recreational park that should be one that would attract great interest throughout the southeastern part of the state; due to the location and natural beauty of the park area.
Members [and] Officers [Roster]
[Photos on marker]
1. The Shop Crew
2. Chow Time
3. Fort Leavenworth Boxers
4. Cooks and K.P.s
5. Fort Leavenworth Boxers
6. The Overhead
7. The Camp Glee Club
8. Two Mutts and a Jeff
Location. 37° 38.64′ N, 94° 48.89′ W. Marker is in Crawford State Park, Kansas, in Crawford County. Touch for map. Marker is along the CCC Memorial Trail, which begins at the CCC Monument, about 400 feet ESE of the park entrance, off 710th Avenue (Kansas Route 277), near West Lake Road. Marker is in this post office area: Farlington KS 66734, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Work Done By Hand (here, next to this marker); Hard Times (within shouting distance of this marker); C.C.C. Volunteer (within shouting distance of this marker); The Beginning (within shouting distance of this marker); Equipment (within shouting distance of this marker); Hard Work (within shouting distance of this marker); The Camp of Co. 788 of the Civilian Conservation Corps (within shouting distance of this marker); Education (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Crawford State Park.
Regarding A Brief History of the 788th Company [CCC]. The text and photos are apparently taken from the published 788th Company "yearbook" [unit history].
Also see . . .
1. Crawford State Park, Kansas. (Submitted on December 4, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Civilian Conservation Corps in Kansas and its Newspapers. (Submitted on December 4, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. CCC Unit Rosters and Histories Collection. (Submitted on December 4, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Education • Environment • Man-Made Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 4, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 458 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 4, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.