Near LaGrange in Troup County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Burnt Village
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 141-11.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 32° 59.701′ N, 85° 10.469′ W. Marker was near LaGrange, Georgia, in Troup County. Marker was on Lower Glass Bridge Road one mile north of Ferrell-Tatum Road. Touch for map. The marker is on the left just before Lower Glass Bridge Road dead-ends. Marker was in this post office area: Lagrange GA 30240, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are Famous Indian Path (approx. 3.9 miles away); Ocfuskooche Tallauhassee (approx. 5.8 miles away in Alabama); More Enduring Than Marble (approx. 7.9 miles away); Fort Tyler (approx. 7.9 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Tyler (approx. 8 miles away); LaGrange College – 1831 (approx. 8.1 miles away); Gen. Robert C. Tyler, C.S.A. (approx. 8.1 miles away); Fort Tyler Cemetery (approx. 8.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in LaGrange.
More about this marker. The marker observed standing in 1995. In 2003 the park attendant stated that it had been removed due to vandalism.
Text for the missing marker was taken from “Georgia Historical Markers” (Bay Tree Grove, Second Edition 1978) compiled by Carroll P. Scruggs from the records of the Georgia Historical Commission.
The marker was originally located on the west side of the Chattahoochee River, before the dam at was built creating West Point Lake in 1975. The marker was near the west end of the Glass Bridge, a 614 foot, six span covered bridge named for the Glass family. After the creation of the lake, the marker was moved to the east bank, on the road which had led to the bridge.
Categories. • Native Americans • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 26, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 645 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 26, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of marker prior to disappearance? • Can you help?