Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Fort C.F. Smith
Defending the Capital
Fort C.F. Smith was built complete with barracks, mess halls, kitchens, officersí quarters, a barn and a headquarters building. When the fort was decommissioned in 1865, all of these accessory buildings were removed. No visible above-ground evidence of these buildings remains today.
(Sidebar): Charles Ferguson Smith was born in Philadelphia on April 24, 1807, and graduated from the U.S. Military Academy in 1825. Later, while
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, the Defenses of Washington, and the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 38° 54.08′ N, 77° 5.307′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker can be reached from 24th Street North. Touch for map. Marker is in Fort C.F. Smith Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2411 24th Street North, Arlington VA 22207, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of Fort C.F. Smith (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Fort C.F. Smith (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Fort C.F. Smith (about 800 feet away); The Dawson-Bailey House (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Dawson-Bailey Spring Site (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Bay-Eva Castle Site (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Strong (approx. 0.4 miles away); Maywood (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
More about this marker. On the lower left of marker is a photo captioned "Fort C.F. Smith Headquarters, 2nd New York, August, 1865 -Courtesy Library of Congress" and on the upper right is a photo of Charles Ferguson Smith. The marker also features a sketch captioned "Barnard Sketch of Fort C.F. Smith" and a map captioned "Barnard topographic map showing northwest portions of the Arlington Line (1871).
Also see . . . Walking Tour. Fort C.F. Smith Park Walking Tour Brochure (345k) PDF (Submitted on February 2, 2008.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 2, 2008. This page has been viewed 1,695 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 2, 2008. 2. submitted on January 9, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 3. submitted on February 2, 2008. 4. submitted on February 9, 2008. 5. submitted on February 2, 2008. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.