Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Fort C.F. Smith
Mr. Lincoln’s Forts
—Defenses of Washington, 1861-1865 —
Along with forts Strong, Morton and Woodbury, Fort C.F. Smith functioned as part of the outer perimeter defenses that protected the Aqueduct bridge of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal. The fort was a lunette with two bastions on the north side to protect from attack up the ravines from the Potomac. The original fort contained 22 gun emplacements, eight of which are preserved and visible today. The access road to the fort crossed Spout Run near Mason’s Mill and proceeded up the hill to Fort Strong. Military Road linked Fort C.F. Smith with Fort Ethan Allen to the north.
The support buildings in which the garrison ate and slept were located to the east. These included barracks, mess halls, cook houses, officers’ quarters, a barn and a headquarters’ building. Period photographs illustrate how Arlington’s landscape was denuded of trees to allow clear lines of fire from Fort C.F. Smith and the adjacent forts.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, the Defenses of Washington, and the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 38° 54.055′ N, 77° 5.447′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker can be reached from 24th Street North. Touch for map. Marker is in Fort C.F. Smith Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2411 24th Street North, Arlington VA 22207, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Fort C.F. Smith (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Fort C.F. Smith (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Fort C.F. Smith (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Maywood (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort Strong (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Dawson-Bailey House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Bennett (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Arlington Line (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
More about this marker. On the upper of left of the marker is a photo captioned "Co. F, 2nd New York Heavy Artillery at Fort C.F. Smith, August, 1864." On the right of the marker is featured a sketch and a map captioned "Defenses of Washington showing
Also see . . . Fort C.F. Smith Park. Arlington County Department of Parks, Recreation and Community Resources website. (Submitted on February 2, 2008.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 2, 2008. This page has been viewed 1,126 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 2, 2008. 4. submitted on February 3, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 5. submitted on February 2, 2008. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.