Colton in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected 1935 by Lugonia Parlor No, 241, N.D.G.W and Arrowhead Parlor No. 110, N.S.G.W. (Marker Number 617.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 34° 3.675′ N, 117° 17.259′ W. Marker is in Colton, California, in San Bernardino County. Marker is at the intersection of South Hunts Lane and East Oliver Holmes Road, on the right when traveling south on South Hunts Lane. Touch for map. Marker is located at the truck scale. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 South Hunts Lane, San Bernardino CA 92408, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Guachama Rancheria (approx. 2.8 miles away); Site of Mormon Stockade (approx. 3.1 miles away); Charles C Rich / Amasa M Lyman (approx. 3.1 miles away); Settlement of San Bernardino The Council House (approx. 3.1 miles away); To Jedediah Smith (approx. 3.1 miles away); Arrowhead Plaza (approx. 3.1 miles away); San Bernardino Asistencia (approx. 4.2 miles away).
Regarding Fort Benson. It was on Jumuba that For Benson was erected in the late 1850's by Jerome Benson, who raised earthworks and loaded a cannon with rocks to protect his land against seizure by the Mormons who dominated the region. SOURCE: California A Guide to the Golden State by Federal Writers' Project
Also see . . . Jerome Messenger Benson (1810 - 1877) - Find A Grave Memorial. (Submitted on January 2, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 28, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 1,084 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 28, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.