Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Defenses of Washington
Nearby to the north stood Fort Strong, a lunette marking the north end of the Arlington Line constructed in August 1861. It had a perimeter of 318 yards and emplacements for 15 guns.
Erected 1965 by Arlington County, Virginia. (Marker Number 9.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Defenses of Washington marker series.
Location. 38° 53.735′ N, 77° 5.32′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is at the intersection of Lee Highway (U.S. 29) and North Adams Street, on the right when traveling south on Lee Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Arlington Line (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort C.F. Smith (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Fort C.F. Smith (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Dawson-Bailey House (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Fort C.F. Smith (approx. 0.4 miles Fort C.F. Smith (approx. 0.4 miles away); Maywood (approx. half a mile away); Fort Woodbury (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
More about this marker. In the center of the marker is a map of the Washington Defenses, with a red (weathered) arrow pointing out the location of Fort Strong.
1. Fort Strong Particulars
From "Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington," by Benjamin Franklin Cooling III and Walton H. Owen II:
Originally called Fort DeKalb, the fort was renamed in honor of General George Crockett Strong, wounded in an assault of Battery Wagner, South Carolina, July 18, 1863. (Strong later died of lockjaw.)
With a perimeter of 318 yards and emplacements for 15 guns, it held the right side line of the Arlington defenses prior to the construction of Fort C.F. Smith. Armament included seven 24-pdr guns, one 24-pdr field howitzer, four 30-pdr Parrott rifles, one 6-pdr gun, and two 10-inch mortars.
Units manning Fort Strong at different times included the 97th New York Infantry, 1st Massachusetts Heavy Artillery, 4th New York Heavy Artillery, 164th Ohio Infantry, 16th Maine Infantry, 88th Pennsylvania Infantry, and 2nd Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery.
— Submitted February 3, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 3, 2008. This page has been viewed 1,685 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 3, 2008. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.