Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Site of Ezra Church

 
 
Site of Ezra Church Marker Post image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, December 17, 2011
1. Site of Ezra Church Marker Post
Inscription. Here stood the little frame edifice known as Ezra Church (Methodist), on a half-acre plot deeded by James & Nancy Coursey to the trustees Oct. 31, 1853. As a landmark, its name was given to the battle fought here July 28, 1864.

Col. Hugo Wangelin’s brigade, Woods’ div. 15th A. C. [US] was posted here during the battle & lacking intrenchments, fought behind a barricade of benches removed from the church.

During Federal siege operations after the battle, the church was demolished. Miss Sarah Huff, who visited the site the following December, recalled seeing the carcasses of the horses still on the frozen ground.
 
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-143.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 33° 45.183′ N, 84° 26.2′ W. Marker was in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker was at the intersection of Martin Luther King Jr. Drive SW and Mathewson Place SW, on the right when traveling west on Martin Luther King Jr. Drive SW. Touch for map. The marker stood at the edge of Mozley Park. Marker was in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30314, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Site of Ezra Church Marker Post image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, December 17, 2011
2. Site of Ezra Church Marker Post
The plaques in the background in Mozley Park described Civil War action in the area.
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Battle Hill (was within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing. ); The Federal Salient (was approx. ¼ mile away but has been reported missing. ); Clayton's Div., Lee's A.C. (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Clayton’s Div., Lee’s A.C. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Battle of Ezra Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Clayton's Div., Lee's A.C. (was approx. 0.4 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Battle of Ezra Ch. (approx. half a mile away); The Siege Lifted (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
 
More about this marker. The marker was known to be standing in 2003. Text for the missing marker was taken from “Georgia Historical Markers” (Bay Tree Grove, Second Edition 1978) compiled by Carroll P. Scruggs from the records of the Georgia Historical Commission.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 7, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 618 times since then and 85 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 7, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement