Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kennesaw (Big Shanty) in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Site - Lacy Hotel

 
 
Site-Lacy Hotel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, August 2007
1. Site-Lacy Hotel Marker
Inscription. Eastward across R. R. stood the 2-story frame hotel, leased by George M. Lacy in 1859 -- an eating house for passengers on the State-owned railway until June 9, 1864, at which time the Federal forces occupied Big Shanty. April 12, 1862, the Andrews Raiders [US] seized the locomotive "General" while train crew & passengers were breakfasting at the hotel. Fortified by a stockade, it housed a Federal garrison from June 9 to Oct. 3, 1864, when it was recaptured by Confederate forces. Reoccupied by Federal troops it was maintained as a R. R. blockhouse until abandoned & burned by them, Nov. 14.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 033-41.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 34° 1.421′ N, 84° 36.909′ W. Marker is in Kennesaw (Big Shanty), Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker is on Big Shanty Rd, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. West side of railroad Tracks. Marker is in this post office area: Kennesaw GA 30152, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Andrews Raid (here, next to this marker); Stewart's Corps at Big Shanty (here,
Lacy Hotel, Andrews Raid, Stewart's Corps at Big Shanty, & Federal Occupation of Big Shanty Markers image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, March 8, 2000
2. Lacy Hotel, Andrews Raid, Stewart's Corps at Big Shanty, & Federal Occupation of Big Shanty Markers
next to this marker); Federal Occupation of Big Shanty (a few steps from this marker); Big Shanty (a few steps from this marker); Locomotive "General" (within shouting distance of this marker); William A. Fuller (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The General (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kennesaw (Big Shanty).
 
Regarding Site - Lacy Hotel. The Hotel (which is referred to as the “Big Shanty Hotel” by Sherman in one of his dispatches) was burned to the ground by Sherman’s troops on November 14, 1864. Its exact location has been lost, but Dr. Betty Smith of Kennesaw State University conducted an archaeological survey of the general site in the late 1990s, and surmised that the hotel was located under the present day parking lot of the Big Shanty Depot.
 
Also see . . .
1. Breakfast Stop... When the train stopped at the Lacy Hotel, the Raiders took the opportunity
Lacy Hotel image. Click for full size.
Drawing of the Lacy Hotel by Wilbur G. Kurtz
3. Lacy Hotel
to seize the engine, thus starting the chase. (Submitted on February 6, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 

2. Kennesaw. The Lacy Hotel seemed to figure prominently in all of the Civil War-era events in Big Shanty. (Submitted on February 6, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Railroads & StreetcarsWar, US Civil
 
The present day Big Shanty Depot image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, August 2007
4. The present day Big Shanty Depot
Possible site of Original Lacy Hotel
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 6, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 3,307 times since then and 115 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on February 6, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.   2. submitted on September 10, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   3, 4. submitted on February 6, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement