Leesylvania State Park in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Lee and Fairfax Family Cemetery
Captain Henry Fairfax, who purchased the plantation from the Lees in 1825, and his third wife Elizabeth are buried in the enclosed portion of the cemetery. Captain Fairfax passed away on the sixth of October in 1847. Elizabeth died a month later in the same year.
The Lee family stones have long since disappeared. They were replaced with a bronze plaque donated by the Society of the Lees. The Fairfax headstones were relocated in 1969 to Union Cemetery in Leesburg, alongside the tomb of their son John Walter Fairfax. Their remains still rest within the enclosed cemetery.
Erected by Leesylvania State Park.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is along an historical hiking trail within Leesylvania State Park. Marker is in this post office area: Woodbridge VA 22191, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Lee Family Cemetery ( here, next to this marker); A Railroad Runs Through It ( within shouting distance of this marker); Mill Wheel ( approx. 0.4 miles away); Pollution Solution ( approx. 0.4 miles away); The Freestone Point Hunt Club ( approx. half a mile away); Annoying the Enemy ( approx. half a mile away); Swimming in Bounty ( approx. half a mile away); War in the Chesapeake ( approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leesylvania State Park.
More about this marker. Above the picture of the Fairfax gravestones is displayed their inscription.
Elizabeth Fairfax Henry Fairfax Snr.
Wife of Henry Fairfax, Sr. died Oct. 6th 1847 in the
Died Nov. 6th, 1847 in the 74th year of his age. Son of
54th year of her age Jonathan Fairfax
Daughter of and Sarah his wife was born
his wife was born March
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 9, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,333 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 9, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Pictures of the gravestones from Union Cemetery in Leesburg. • Can you help?