Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
A New Home for African Americans
A planned community was envisioned that would provide freed slaves with clean housing and opportunities for work, job training and education. Known as the Freedmanís Village, the community was located on a portion of the Custis/Lee Plantation, which later became Arlington National Cemetery. The village was constructed rather quickly and formally dedicated December 4, 1863. It became a model for other such communities. Eventually more than 50 two-story duplex houses, two churches, a school, a meeting hall, a hospital and a home for the aged and infirm were built around a central green space. In time, the villageís population exceeded 1,000. Though the village was intended to be temporary, residents stayed until the late 1890s. By 1898, Freedmanís Village officially was closed. Its residents were asked to relocate and were offered parcels of land and monetary incentives. Many
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 38° 52.125′ N, 77° 4.257′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is at the intersection of South Oak Street and Southgate Road, on the right when traveling north on South Oak Street. Touch for map. Marker is located in Foxcroft Heights Park. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22209, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Freedman's Village (here, next to this marker); Site of Arlington Chapel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robert Edwin Peary (approx. 0.2 miles away); Matthew Alexander Henson (approx. 0.2 miles away); U.S. Coast Guard Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Peacemaker (approx. ľ mile away); 96th Infantry Division, U.S. Army (approx. ľ mile away); Indian Warriors and Their Brothers (approx. ľ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
More about this marker. On the upper right of marker is a sketch captioned, "View of Freedman's Village, Arlington Heights, Virginia" - Harper's Weekly, May 7, 1864. On the lower right of marker are 2 diagrams captioned: Plan for headquarters building. Cartography Collection, National Archives and: General Plan for Freedman's Village. - Cartography Collection, National Archives. The marker also has a small photo captioned, Inset photo is of the contraband school - Brady Collection, National Archives.
Also see . . . Freedman's Village. Article from National Park Service (Submitted on February 10, 2008.)
Categories. • African Americans • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 30, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 10, 2008. This page has been viewed 2,589 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 10, 2008. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.