Chantilly in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
From Battleground to Community
Eleanor Stewart and her son Charles, who lived in a house on this site during the Civil War, were Union Loyalists in an area dominated by Southern supporters. Their neighbors called them “Yankees.” Proud of their beliefs, the Stewarts raised a Union flag over their house at the beginning of the war.
Federal troops used the house as a field hospital and encamped nearby. During the Battle of Ox Hill, on September 1, 1862, Confederate troops established lines of battle on a portion of the Stewart property located on the opposite side of the road.
How the Pender Community Began
As people began to settle on smaller lots in the Ox Hill area, especially at the intersection of present-day West Ox Road and Route 50, the need arose for a new post office. In 1890, a post office was established in Wilby J. French’s store. The post office was named Pender.
The community also had a blacksmith shop, located near French’s store, which was operated by Berkley Kidwell. Mr. Kidwell purchased the lot in 1883.
In 1907, the Methodist Episcopal Church of Pender began holding services in their newly-constructed church.
Location. 38° 52.305′ N, 77° 22.353′ W. Marker is in Chantilly Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fairfax VA 22033, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battle of Chantilly - Ox Hill (approx. 0.4 miles away); Maryland (Antietam / Sharpsburg) Campaign (approx. 0.4 miles away); Battle of Ox Hill (Chantilly) (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Battle of Ox Hill (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named The Battle of Ox Hill (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named The Battle of Ox Hill (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named The Battle of Ox Hill (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named The Battle of Ox Hill (approx. half a mile away).
More about this marker. On the left side of the marker is a photo captioned: Changes at a Glance • The Pender Community in 1837 • 1937 USDA Aerial Photo Courtesy Fairfax County Park Authority.
On the upper right of the marker is a photo captioned: Pender School was built across the street from the Stewart house in 1900. The first teacher was Fannie Stewart. Photo ca. 1907 Courtesy Lee Hubbard.
On the lower
Also see . . . Biography of General William Dorsey Pender. (Submitted on March 18, 2012.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 18, 2012. This page has been viewed 743 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 18, 2012. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.