Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Clayton's Div., Lee's A.C.

 
 
Clayton's Div., Lee's A.C. Marker Site image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, March 16, 2012
1. Clayton's Div., Lee's A.C. Marker Site
The marker stood on this corner for approximately ten years.
Inscription. July 28, 1864. Dep1oyed a1ong the old Greensferry Rd. (West View Dr.) were Gibson’s, Holtzclaw’s and Baker’s brigades (Alabama and Louisiana troops), Clayton’s div., forming the right flank of Gen. S. D. Lee’s A. C. [CS] in the Battle Of Ezra Church.

Moving northward in the heavily wooded area, their assault fell upon the Federal line at the salient angle (at Laurel Ave. and Archer. St.), occupied by the left flank, Logan’s 15th A. C.

Unsupported on the left and counter-attacked in front, Clayton’s troops withdrew after two attempts to dislodge the Federals. Loring’s div., Stewart’s A. C., deployed in this vicinity, was not ordered into the battle.
 
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-145.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 33° 44.833′ N, 84° 26.4′ W. Marker was in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker was at the intersection of Westview Drive SW and Laurel Avenue SW, on the right when traveling east on Westview Drive SW. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30310, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. A different marker also named Clayton’s Div., Lee’s A.C. (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Federal Salient (was approx. ¼ mile away but has been reported missing. ); a different marker also named Clayton's Div., Lee's A.C. (approx. ¼ mile away); Battle of Ezra Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Battle Hill (was approx. 0.4 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Site of Ezra Church (was approx. 0.4 miles away but has been reported missing. ); The Siege Lifted (approx. half a mile away); Battle of Ezra Ch. (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Atlanta.
 
More about this marker. This marker was originally installed at Wellington and Elixir Streets, from where it vanished about 1980. (A replacement marker was installed at that site in 1985; see marker no. 36085.) This marker was later recovered and installed on a new post across Interstate Highway 20 from the original location. (The construction of I-20 cut through the site of the Battle of Ezra Church, and cut off many streets in the area.) A former manager of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources Historic Marker Shop once stated that at the time this marker was installed here, they were unaware that the 1985 replacement marker still stood at the original location.

The text for the missing marker was taken from “Georgia Historical Markers” (Bay Tree Grove, Second Edition 1978) compiled by Carroll P. Scruggs from the records of the Georgia Historical Commission.
 
Categories. War, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 19, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 435 times since then and 41 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on March 19, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement